Web,
 
This past weekend at the Reebok Crossfit Games-South Central Regional I perused the different vender tents and kept thinking about purchasing a hat or shirt or maybe some socks but wondered if I was worthy enough of a Crossfitter to wear some of these clothing items.

My husband always says, “you can’t be poor to CrossFit”. In some respects, he is right. When he initially started CrossFit, he had a room off the garage with pull-up bar, rings, kettlebells, and some weights. Then we started training CrossFit in a box and shell out close to $200 a month for membership. He eventually stopped going to the affiliate and returned to training CrossFit at home/local gym to save us money. I stayed at the affiliate because I needed the coaching. I even made the decision, after reading a blog posted by Lisa Thiel, that I would go back to my natural hair color to save money to CrossFit.

Once I was training CrossFit at the box, I jumped into the lifestyle head-on. I got my affiliate t-shirts, competition t-shirts, lululemon athletica shorts, Chuck Taylors and Inov8s and then I’d complain about having no money for CrossFit. The price to look like a CrossFit athlete isn’t cheap either.

As I sat on the concrete watching elite athletes compete I wondered, "Am I worthy enough to be wearing the same clothes they wear?" Sure I look the part, but I can’t do HSPUs or ring dips, and I would probably quit the WOD once the thermometer reached 100 degrees. Am I Sic Fit? Or am I a wannabe?

I saw my friend’s buy multiple shirts from multiple vendors and spend tons of money this weekend on clothes. I did buy a SICFIT Marine Corps shirt for my husband. But when my friends were encouraging me to get something for myself, I had this continued feeling that dressing likeLindsey Smith wouldn’t get me a 170 pound thruster or wearing a “Games Bound” shirt wouldn’t get me on the podium beside Carey Kepler, Lindsey Smith, and Lisa Thiel. However, if I did want to compete with them and be games bound one day I needed to “dial in my diet and training and take time to rest” as Carey put it.


Leaving the competition Sunday, my motivation was ignited to do just as Carey said and I was satisfied with my free Reebok Crossfit Games - South Central Regional staff shirts. Even more satisfying was my own personal decision to save my money that I would have spent on a t-shirt to buy a kettlebell and a jump rope. Additonally, Reebox seems to be coming out with clothing for CrossFitters that might be relatively reasonably priced. Am I SICFIT? Maybe not yet but, the decision to buy a kettlebell and get back to the box certainly means I’m not a wannabe.

Just wanted to share. It was nice meeting you this weekend.

By Julia Morris

Editor's Note: The SICFIT brand is not reserved solely for those like: Carey KeplerLindsey SmithLisa Thiel, or Valley CrossFit's Band of Sisters. SICFIT is not limited to those known for achieving victory. It is not all about those who win. But it is limited to those who make the effort, it is about those who try to win and regroup for another attempt when they do not achieve that victory. It's not only about the standing up, atop the podium. It is just as much about standing up when adversity's elements knock you down. The best athletes master this manuever. So, yes Julia. You are SICFIT